Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

The Best Veggie Enchiladas You've Never Had!

Best Vegetable Enchiladas with Cashew Cream Sauce clean eating vegan recipes vegetarian enchiladas

I am NOT, repeat, NOT a vegetarian. Nor am I vegan (that is SO funny, I can't even stand it!!). However, when I tried these Veggie Enchiladas at the retreat I was on last weekend, I was shocked to learn that not only were they vegetarian, they were VEGAN!! #shutthefrontdoor

I loved these so much that I couldn't wait to come home and make them myself! I modified the recipe a bit from the original from Oh My Veggies, but it's very similar. The Cashew Cream Sauce..are you kidding me?? I was dipping veggies in it, putting in on my pizza, using at as salad dressing....it's sooooo delicious and not a DROP of cream to be found!

One "family friendly" tip with this recipe if you have picky kiddos or kids who can't eat nuts (2 out of 3 in my house!), just fill a smaller baking dish with a few enchiladas for the kids and top it with cheese vs. the Cashew Cream Sauce. Boom-everyone's happy! Here's the version I made for the kids--no extra work involved.

Vegan Enchiladas with cashew cream kid friendl
INGREDIENTS

Black Beans
1 can black beans
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
*Combine all ingredients for the black beans in a pan and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Drain beans but do no rinse.

Cashew Cream Sauce
1 1/2 cups roasted, unsalted cashews (soak in water for about 15 minutes)
1 12oz. jar of roasted red peppers, rough chopped
3/4 cup water
1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
1/4 cup red onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
*Add everything to a blender or food processor (I used my little Nutribullet) and blend until totally smooth. Season to taste.

Enchiladas
12 corn tortillas
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 large zucchini, small dice
1 cup frozen corn
Black beans (from above)
2 cups red or green salsa (fresh from the deli, I used a combo of both red and green)
Fresh cilantro and avocado for topping, optional

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoon of olive oil. Add zucchini and red onion and saute for 3-5 minutes until slightly soft. Add corn and stir until veggies are cooked a little more--about 3 more minutes.
2. Add drained black beans to the skillet, stir to combine and allow filling to cool for a few minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400. Spray the bottom of a large baking dish with cooking spray. Pour a few tablespoons of salsa on the bottom of the dish to coat.
4. Divide veggie and bean mixture into each of the tortillas, roll, and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat for all tortillas (if the tortillas aren't pliable and keep breaking, heat them in the microwave for about 10-20 seconds until they are soft and warm).
5. Top enchiladas with the rest of the salsa(s) {or cheese for the kids} and bake about 20 minutes until heated through. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
6. Top enchiladas with the cashew cream. Garnish with cilantro and avocado, if desired.
There you have it! Probably one of the only VEGAN dishes I have eaten in my lifetime! I have to say, I am pretty impressed! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick and Easy Meal Prep for Breakfast + Lunch + Snacks!

Ready for a SUPER quick and easy meal prep?! No joke, it took me longer to find all the lids to these containers than it did it prep my b...