Pages

Friday, September 4, 2015

Foodie Friday ~ Perfect Italian Meatballs & The 21 Day Fix Version!


There's something about a good meatball that just speaks to me....I just LOVE me a good meatball :) They're super convenient, too because you can make up a big batch, freeze them and use them for different recipes. Our faves are meatball sandwiches with melted provolone all over the top and just good old spaghetti and meatballs.

Some people think meatballs are difficult to make, but they really aren't! I have tried MANY techniques and recipes and through trial and error, I've found the the perfect mix for an easy and delicious meatball! #youarewelcome :)

21 DAY FIX MEATBALLS

As you may know, I am also doing the 21 Day Fix (it's day 12!!) and honestly I have never felt better! It's amazing. So I adapted this recipe to be in line with the plan and you know what...I hardly missed a THING!!! They meatballs were just as delicious and just as easy. So I included that "healthy" recipe below, too! :)

Perfect Italian Meatballs
1 1/3 ground beef (I've found the BEST is organic, 85/15 but you can use whatever you prefer!)
1/2 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup water (makes the meatballs nice and tender!)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons black pepper
Pinch of salt (the seasoned breadcrumbs, Worcestershire and Parmesan all add salt/salty flavor so you don't need much more salt)
Red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400.

2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. With your hands, mix until well-combined, but do not overmix.

3. Roll meatballs into desired size...i usually make mine about golf-ball sized so they are perfect for meatball sandwiches :)

4. On a greased baking sheet, bake meatballs 12-15 minutes until barely done inside. Most likely you will be reheating these later in a sauce or for sandwiches, so you don't need to cook them to death!

Store in a freezer bag and freeze for up to two weeks.

Perfect Italian Meatballs ~ 21 Day Fix Version
(almost like the original recipe but substitutions in BOLD)

1 1/3 lean ground beef (93% lean or more) OR any lean ground meat (turkey/chicken)
3/4 cup quick cooking oats (you can pulse them in a food processor for smoother consistency but it's not necessary)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup water (makes the meatballs nice and tender!)
1 tablespoon of tomato sauce or your pasta sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons black pepper
Teaspoon of salt
Red pepper flakes (optional)
2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, chopped (optional)

Follow directions exactly like in the original recipe! DONE! I make my meatballs fairly large, so I counted 2 meatballs as 1 Red for the 21 Day Fix. My entire meal was 4 meatballs (2 Red), Whole Wheat Pasta (1 or 2 Yellows) and mixed greens (1 Green). It was A LOT of food!!! :) I have yet to be hungry on the 21 Day Fix!!

Happy Labor Day! XO


Don't forget to follow A Little Bit of Cheer on Facebook HERE

I'm on Instagram now! Yippeee! Follow me HERE

Follow any of my boards on Pinterest HERE 

Follow me on Bloglovin' HERE  

See where I link up HERE

 photo http___signaturesmylivesignaturecom_54493_88_9CE8AA3F49A05E87EC0C8AFE42F0194E_zps6da736d6.png

7 comments:

  1. Meatballs are a huge hit in our house...mostly for Lucia. Willis hates them. (But then I secretly smash them up for him and call it spaghetti sauce) (Shhhhhh- he hasn't caught on yet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starving right now and those look so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my regular meatball recipe sounds like your fix version except instead of tomato paste I've always used ketchup! I also always use oats in my meatloaf, I feel like it helps the nutritional value a little ;)
    I still have yet to actually start the fix... one day I'll use my little containers and workout videos... right now I'm lucky if I down a peanut butter sandwich as a meal and workouts pertain to chasing my toddler and walking around trying to get the baby to sleep

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!!!!!!
    Jaymie
    www.jaymieashcraft.com
    I'd love for you to join my Fridays Fashions link up party. :)

    ReplyDelete

Quick and Easy Meal Prep for Breakfast + Lunch + Snacks!

Ready for a SUPER quick and easy meal prep?! No joke, it took me longer to find all the lids to these containers than it did it prep my b...