Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

J. Crew Factory ~ Model vs. Me!

Hey Ladies!! I decided to go a little crazy over here today...but it's all for your benefit! I'm putting myself head to head with J. Crew models!! Yes, those super tiny waify girls that always look like they are extremely irritated or extremely aloof!

I don't know about you, but as a mom of 3 little kids, I rely A LOT on online shopping. I usually end up returning about 50% of what I get online because it's just so difficult to imagine how something will fit on your particular body when all you have to go by is the staged model's pic.

I decided to venture into J. Crew Factory to check out some of their Fall items and then compare them to how they look on the model so you guys can get a good idea of how these items look on a "real" person! :)

Disclamer--OK, I apologize but the dressing rooms and lighting at my J.Crew Factory abide by prison-standards! I mean, they were AWFUL!!! But I think you'll be able to get a sense of how these items look. Here we go...

(Note ~ I am 5'4" and am typically an XS and a 26/2 at J.Crew Factory.)

Factory Garment Dyed Skinny Sateen Jeans with Zippers

Review: Olive jeans are a staple for Fall and I loved the zippers giving them a little "edgy/moto" feel. These pants were also SOOOOO soft and comfy!

Sizing: I am wearing a 27 in this pic and you can see they are a little long and bunch at the ankles. :( They didn't have a 26 in store, but I think those would have fit slighter better. I was bummed about the length because these pants are SO CUTE, but with the zippers, there would be no way to hem them easily.

Verdict: for gals taller than 5'4" I would definitely recommend these!!

Factory Cobble Stitch Sweater in Warm Ivory

Review: They didn't have this pretty lime green one at my store, but I have been looking for a casual cream sweater for the Fall, so I decided to give this one a shot. I think this one fit very similar to how it fit on the model. It's also super soft and not too tight, not too baggy. Love it!!!

Sizing: True to size. I am wearing an XS.

Verdict: Buy--it's a great staple if you are looking for new sweaters (comes in 6 colors)

Factory 4 Pocket Shirt-Jacket in Woodland


Review: Ok, so I should have looked at the name of it before I went to the store because I was looking for a JACKET. But this is really a shirt!! I guess the biggest difference between the model's pic and the real pic is the color. The color in my picture is true to the color it is in real life. The model's pic is WAY brighter. It's more of a dull military green.

Sizing: I found this to run big and boxy. I am wearing an XXS.

Verdict: It was kinda cute but it was too boxy for me. I think money would be better spent for a "real" military jacket or vest.

Factory Military Shirtdress

Review: I really like shirtdresses because they are casual and they can be worn across seasons. I thought this one would be adorable paired with boots and tights! But um....yeah, I think we can all agree that this dress does NOTHING for me. Zilch. Not to mention it is HEAVY and the fabric is SO rough! Ugh! Awful!!!

Sizing: Big and boxy, I am wearing an XS.

Verdict: Someone may look good in this, but given the nasty fabric, I would steer clear of this one!

Factory Classic Chambray Shirt


Review: So the shirt I tried on was darker than the one on the model, but work with me here! My chambray shirts are staples in my closet and I know many of you are looking for a "perfect" chambray shirt. Well, I don't think this one is it :(  The fit is OK, but the fabric is SO thick! It's uncomfortable to wear and makes it hard to tuck. The Target Merona chambray shirts are my favorites as well as the Loft softened shirts like this one. If you are in the market for a new chambray shirt, I would check out Target and Loft and skip this one!

Sizing: Boxy, I am wearing an XS.

Verdict: Keep looking :)

Overall, the green jeans and the cream sweater were keepers. Everything else I feel didn't live up to the cute expectations the models portrayed! One other item I tried on were their Clare cardigans because I am in the market to upgrade some of my cardis. I found the Clare cardigan to be pretty perfect! Super quality, nice and soft and "collar" of the cardi lays flat against your chest and doesn't fold out like cheaper cardigans.

These cardis run SMALL! I am wearing my normal XS, and I like my cardis fitted, but not this much. I would size up one or two, if you plan on buttoning it (the online reviews say the same thing). Click HERE for the Clare cardigan in 10 colors (wait until they go 50% off and stock up!).



Alrighty girls! That's a wrap for today! I hope you found some of these reviews helpful. Next time I am definitely complaining to the manager about the poor lighting- I can't work in these conditions! :)

Have you signed up for the Work Wear Challenge yet?? I have!! :) Registration closes this Friday! Click HERE to read my post about the challenge and HERE to sign up!! You will not regret it!



Don't forget to follow A Little Bit of Cheer on Facebook HERE

Follow me on Instagram HERE

Follow any of my boards on Pinterest HERE 

Follow me on Bloglovin' HERE  

See where I link up HERE

 photo http___signaturesmylivesignaturecom_54493_88_9CE8AA3F49A05E87EC0C8AFE42F0194E_zps6da736d6.png

22 comments:

  1. It's so helpful to see how things look on a real person. That olive dress is cute but I'm with you, heavy and stiff fabric makes it hard to wear. I love J.Crew sweaters! Thanks for this fun review!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! I hated that olive dress! It almost made me write off shirtdresses alltogether! LOL!! XOXOX

      Delete
  2. What an awesome post idea!! I can't say I've ever bought anything from J.Crew but I love browsing online!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their shorts, tees and cardis. Everything else is hit or miss. It's definitely nice to have a store close by! XOXO

      Delete
  3. I really like those olive pants, but I don't know if I could get the length to work for me either. :-( This is such a helpful review because everything looks fabulous on you, but now I know how the fabric actually feels!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short people problems!!! :) I KNOW--that's why it's tough to shop online!! You really have to FEEL things. That's why I love Nordies--free shipping and returns--so easy! XOXO

      Delete
  4. These are all nice easy looks. I love olive on you. I much prefer clothes on a real woman than a model. Keeping it real, you know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, Ada! Always keeping it real, girl! XOXO

      Delete
  5. haha, this was awesome! Such a great post. And I totally thought that green shirt was a jacket too, very deceiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great idea, I love everything you choose but definitely everything looks so different on the models like better quality/different colors .. I don't know. I've never bought in J crew but when I do. I'm definitely going to the store to see the things and try them on. Thanks for sharing!
    x,Abril
    The Color Palette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely helps to see and feel things at J Crew Factory. I feel like their things are very hit and miss! XOXO

      Delete
  7. Wow you amazing here! You can totally hold your own against those models!! Thanks for the chambray tip!! I have never tried the Loft version. Do they run true to size? Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loft ones are AWESOME. Super, super soft. They are pretty TTS...you're probably an XS :) If you like a slightly more slouchy look, though (like all the models show! LOL!) then maybe size up. :) XOXO

      Delete
  8. Where are your cute leopard flats from? You look better than those models😉 love your style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! Believe it or not, those are from PAYLESS! So comfy, I love them, but got them about a year and a half ago! DSW has a SUPER cute pair of Audrey Brooke ones that I have my eye on. They are $60, but wait for a coupon :) I wear mine so often!! XOXOXO

      Delete
  9. I really enjoy reading this email! That is such a cool idea to compare the model with yours and also give us the first hand practical info. Great post! :)

    Take care and keep in touch!
    Please stop by today for Color and Grace Fashion link up!
    Grace
    http://colorandgrace.com 

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cream sweater...I think you kept the best thing! I've never been able to find pants from J.Crew or (Factory) that work on me. I think the pants seem like a straighter fit so they just don't work with my curves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a interesting reviews, those olive jeans are perfect and i really like cream sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think you look awesome! I would not look nearly as cute next to those models, go you!
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the olive pants... I need some!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do shop mostly online too, it is just so much easier. The only time I go to the mall is make returns. Great reviews!

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you next week. Have a great weekend!

    Alice
    www.happpinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was definitely entertaining. I don't shop online for this reason - I am just way too hard to fit, and I hate returning things. Now I'm wondering if there's a J Crew Factory near me though.

    ReplyDelete

Quick and Easy Meal Prep for Breakfast + Lunch + Snacks!

Ready for a SUPER quick and easy meal prep?! No joke, it took me longer to find all the lids to these containers than it did it prep my b...