Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

Foodie Friday ~ Easy Shrimp Roll


 I'm so excited Foodie Friday is back and I get to share my favorite recipes with you guys!! I took a little break in July so I could focus on Create28, but I'm back and boy, do I have some great recipes to share with you!

If you are a new reader (YAY! Welcome!) I do Foodie Friday each week where I share my family's favorite recipes. I know cooking and mealtime can be very stressful, so the goal for nearly all of my recipes is to be simple, mostly healthy, mostly homemade, no fancy ingredients, can be done in 30 minutes or less. My recipes are also taste-tasted by my family who are pretty tough critics :) You can search the recipe index by food type/ingredient on my sidebar!

Let's start with a new summer fave ~


I have never been to New England, but when I go, the first thing I will do is run to the nearest Lobster Roll shack. It just seems like a thing that has my name written all over it! Since lobster is expensive and not exactly readily available, I tried to recreate the same type of dish with shrimp. It.was.DELISH!!!

Simple Shrimp Roll
**Makes 4-6 rolls

1 to 1 1/2 lbs shrimp (I liked to buy 40-50 count/pound, peeled and deveined, then I take the tails off)
1/3 cup light mayo
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
2 scallions, finely chopped plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon tarragon, finely chopped (this is optional, but adds a great flavor...you can also use a tablespoon or so of parsley, finely chopped)
Salt/pepper
Hot dog buns
Finely chopped romaine lettuce

1. Cook shrimp in a few teaspoons of olive oil for 2-3 minutes until pink. Season with salt and pepper then set aside to cool, then roughly chop.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together mayo, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, tarragon and lemon zest. Season with salt/pepper. fold in chopped shrimp, scallion, celery and stir until shrimp is well coated with the "dressing." Season with salt/pepper.

3. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours until well-chilled and to allow the flavors to combine.

4. When you are ready to serve, butter the hot dog buns and stick them under the broiler for a few minutes until lightly browned.

5. Assemble rolls by adding a small handful of lettuce to each hot dog bun. Top lettuce with a nice helping of the shrimp mixture. Before serving, squeeze more lemon juice onto each roll and garnish with scallions.

We love having this with kettle potato chips and a little salad (since you'll have leftover romaine lettuce anyway!). Easy, fun weeknight meal!!


Don't forget to follow A Little Bit of Cheer on Facebook HERE

I'm on Instagram now! Yippeee! Follow me HERE

Follow any of my boards on Pinterest HERE 

Follow me on Bloglovin' HERE  

See where I link up HERE

 photo http___signaturesmylivesignaturecom_54493_88_9CE8AA3F49A05E87EC0C8AFE42F0194E_zps6da736d6.png

4 comments:

  1. Yes to healthy and simple! My husband will love these!! Thanks! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's super easy and yummy!! Have a great weekend to my blogger-friend-sister separated at birth!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious and so easy to make! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good and i love shrimps :)
    http://stylediarybyosy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Quick and Easy Meal Prep for Breakfast + Lunch + Snacks!

Ready for a SUPER quick and easy meal prep?! No joke, it took me longer to find all the lids to these containers than it did it prep my b...