Pages

Friday, March 27, 2015

Foodie Friday ~ Resurrection Rolls

I can't believe Easter is NEXT SUNDAY! We'll be spending some quality time with family and cousins during the most important holiday of the year. I don't have a true "recipe" for you this week, but I wanted to share with you a little Easter activity I do with my kids every year to teach the basic premise of Easter.

Now, my two older kids have been doing this activity for years and their knowledge of Easter goes far beyond this activity. However, they never seen to get tired of it, even though they always know what's going to happen :)

The basic premise is: The dough represents the tomb where Jesus was buried. The marshmallow represents Jesus (stay with me, here!). The kids put "Jesus" into the "tomb." We bake the "tombs" and when they come out of the oven, the marshmallows have melted so "Jesus" is gone and the tomb is empty! I have to admit, it makes a pretty delicious treat, too after all the learning is done!

I have great memories of making Resurrection Rolls with my two oldest and my 2 year old can get in on the action this year too! 

Resurrection Rolls Recipe Easter

Resurrection Rolls
(makes 8 "rolls")
1 10oz can of refrigerated crescent rolls
8 large marshmallows
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar (white or brown or both)

1. Preheat oven to 400 and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

2. Separate crescent rolls into triangles. Mix together cinnamon and sugar.

3. Take out the marshmallows and explain that they represents Jesus--white and pure. Dip each marshmallow into the butter--this is to symbolize the embalming oils they used to prepare his body for burial.

4. Dip the marshmallows in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. This symbolizes the spices they used to prepare his body for burial.

5. Place one marshmallow in the center of each dough triangle. Carefully wrap the dough around the marshmallow. Try to be careful and not let any of the marshmallow peek out, otherwise Jesus, I mean the marshmallow, will leek out during the the baking process. Explain that the dough represents the tomb where Jesus was buried.

6. Brush each roll with melted butter and sprinkle with leftover sugar.

7. Bake for about 10 minutes (or according to package directions).

8. When the rolls have cooled, have the kids break them open to see what they find! (they'll be empty since the marshmallow has melted). Explain that this represents the empty tomb and Jesus has risen!


Have a wonderful, blessed Easter!!!

 photo http___signaturesmylivesignaturecom_54493_88_9CE8AA3F49A05E87EC0C8AFE42F0194E_zps6da736d6.png

7 comments:

  1. I love this idea and will have to make them! I have made Easter Tomb cookies, but have never hear of it done with rolls. Stopping by from the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yummy. I would eat the whole batch. Thanks for sharing - NOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet and precious lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea!! Thanks for sharing :-D

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this yummy recipe and food for the soul. Will pin this linking back to your post so I can remember in Easter's to come.

    ReplyDelete

Quick and Easy Meal Prep for Breakfast + Lunch + Snacks!

Ready for a SUPER quick and easy meal prep?! No joke, it took me longer to find all the lids to these containers than it did it prep my b...