Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Wardrobe Wednesday ~ Getting Dressed, Mom Style

 Welcome to Wardrobe Wednesday--a brand new feature on the blog! As you know, I love food and cooking--thus I have Foodie Friday where I share my favorite recipes. I also love my family (duh!)--which is what Seven on Sunday is all about. Well, I also love clothes and playing with new outfits. I also like helping others feel good about themselves....soooo....Wardrobe Wednesday is born!

A little background, I didn't always love getting dressed every morning or shopping for clothes. Spending roughly 26 months pregnant, along with recovery time doesn't really lend itself to going into a dressing room and trying to squeeze my "mama-hips" into skinny jeans. Much less finding the time to even DRIVE my Mama Hips to the store!

After Sarah was born, I finally decided no matter what size I was (or wanted to be!) I wanted to focus on getting out the door every morning looking pulled together. I've spent the last year or so putting together a wardrobe that I feel helps me feel put together...not super trendy, not chic, not "fashion forward"--just casual, classic and most of all, comfortable!!

I also have to give credit where credit is due. Alison Lumbatis from the blog Get Your Pretty On and her Style Challenges have helped me immensely. She's truly the queen of comfortable, effortless style!

So now, instead of throwing on ill-fitting jeans or yoga pants and tennis shoes, I "get dressed" every single day.  I get up earlier than my kids, shower and put on something that I actually feel good about wearing outside the house (even if I'm not going anywhere!). There's just something about the one step of "getting dressed" that can change your whole outlook on the day....well, MOST days :) We all have these...


Now, this "getting dressed" business is WAY different than "dressing up." That's a whole other animal I haven't mastered yet. My goal is to just to be a comfy, put-together mom. If you want to know what that looks like, take a look at these celeb moms:

Everyone one of them looks totally pulled together, classic, yet very casual and comfortable (ok, sorry I had to repeat Jessica Alba because she's truly the casual, classic mom-fashion icon!!). Nothing fancy. Each one is also wearing one or more of my Casual-Classic Wardrobe Staples.

Casual Classic Wardrobe Staples for Moms

1. Awesome, great fitting jeans: Jeans are so personal and every one of us has a different body type and jeans fit differently on everyone. That being said, take the time to find jeans that fit you. That flatter your figure. That make you feel good. That don't sag in the butt. I think many women feel they can't wear "skinny jeans" because they aren't "skinny." Definitely not true! In fact, you'll look way more frumpy wearing baggy or ill-fitting jeans that a more fitted version.

If you really want my insider secret, look for jeans that have some Rayon in them. Yes, RAYON! These jeans have a "stretch" and a softness than you may not have experienced with jeans! My current favorite jeans are from Wit and Wisdom and are 54% rayon and only 24% cotton vs. Gap Always Skinny that are 93% cotton and no rayon! The difference is phenomenal!!Also, jeans with rayon stretch and fit to your body without stretching OUT. If you've owned jeans with spandex or lots of cotton in them, you know what I'm talking about #saggybutt

Wit and Wisdom Stretch Skinny Jeans


2. Striped Tee: For some reason, stripes always look pulled-together. Jeans and a plain t-shirt is boring, but add a striped tee and you're instantly more "dressed." :)

LL Bean Striped Tee


3. Scarves: Ok, as you know I am a scarf ADDICT. I have a problem. However, you don't have to have a million scarves. One with multiple colors and a few plain scarves can take your wardrobe a long way! The websites Jane and Groodealz always have amazing deals on cute scarves (I may or may not have a few hundred from there!)

Floral Striped Infinity Scarf


4. Neutral-colored flats: I swear by my nude flats and wear them constantly, but cognac or even leopard flats are a great COMFORTABLE alternative to athletic shoes or flip flops! Canvas flats like TOMS are also cute and sporty :)

Lucky Brand Nude Flats

TOMS Classic Canvas Slip On
5. Layering tees: Jeans, multi colored scarf, layering t-shirt, flats = instant outfit. Comfortable and takes zero effort. I like to have multiple colors to mix and match with scarves.

J Crew Factory Layering Tee


6. A long necklace or pendant: This might never cross your mind about being a "wardrobe staple" but I can't believe how much a simple, casual necklace can transform an outfit. Another lesson I learned from Get Your Pretty On! Do you know the long length elongates your body???!! Try it :) You can find them anywhere--from Target to Nordstrom to Charming Charlie's. Look for one that hits about at your belly button.

Baublebar Gold Tassel Necklace


So there you have it, the first Wardrobe Wednesday--Getting Dressed, Mom Style! Being a mom is hard work, you don't need to get "dressed up" everyday but "getting dressed" goes much further than just looking decent if a neighbor stops by. Getting dressed is for YOU. I think you'll feel so much better taking a few minutes everyday just for you :)

I'm linking up with a few great blogs: Get Your Pretty On, The Pleated Poppy.
Musings of a HousewifeA Little Bit of Everything, Grace and Love & Momfessionals.

XO ~ Casey


No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick and Easy Meal Prep for Breakfast + Lunch + Snacks!

Ready for a SUPER quick and easy meal prep?! No joke, it took me longer to find all the lids to these containers than it did it prep my b...