Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: Meal Planning

Ok, today is a two-fer. A recipe AND I'll also share how I do my meal planning.

With back-to-school upon us, it's more important than ever to start meal planning. I plan out my meals every single week. That's just how I am--i cannot imagine going through the day without knowing what's for dinner.

Here is how I do my meal planning:

I typically do my grocery shopping on Friday to stock up for the weekend and the following week. I start by brainstorming what we want for dinner the following week. I like to get input from everyone, however the conversation usually ends up something like this:

Me: Honey, what do you want for dinner next week?
Scott: I have no idea. I'm good with anything.
Me: Seriously??!! Give me some ideas!
Scott: Ok, what about pasta?

Me: Brookey, what do you want for dinner next week?
Brookey: I don't know. Pasta?

Me: Buddy, what do you want for dinner next week?
Buddy: Hot dogs.

 NOT HELPFUL!!! So I usually end up doing it myself and making them eat it :)


I also look at our calendar for the following week and see what's planned in the evening. If it's a soccer night, I'll do something that can be reheated because we all get home at different times. If I work that day, I'll do something I can make in 30 minutes or less.

Next, I write everything out on this little magnet calendar I got in the dollar bin at Target. I keep in on the fridge so everyone knows the weekly menu. I plan from Friday to Thursday:


Then I make my grocery list. I organize it into where the stuff is in the store: Produce, dairy, cans, frozen, meat, etc (yes, I did get very bad grades in handwriting in school!):


I also keep a list of staples that I buy each week: milk, Lactaid, fruit, bread, cereal, wine :)

And that's it!! Pretty simple! Each night before I go to bed, I check the fridge menu and see if there is anything I need to take out of the freezer.  I usually make one mid week trip to the grocery store, too...to get fresh veggies or more milk, etc. We're always running out of something and I'm always forgetting something! But I'm telling you, taking 15-20 minutes meal plan each week is a saving grace, especially during the school year.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite back to school recipes--Sloppy Joes!!! So good, so easy and my kids love it because I always serve it with fries!! :)



Sloppy Joes

1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 cup ketchup (you can also add more if you want it more saucy)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
A few good dashes of Worcestershire sauce (about a tablespoon)
1/4 cup of water, if needed
Salt/pepper, as needed

Hamburger buns or kaiser rolls

1. Brown meat in a large skillet until just cooked through; add onions and green pepper and cook until veggies begin to soften.

2. Add in remaining ingredients and simmer for about 5-10 minutes, until flavors are combined.

3. Taste and adjust seasonings. This is the fun part...i like my sloppy joes slightly sweet (more brown sugar), but some prefer them more savory (less sugar, maybe more mustard).

4. Spoon mixture onto toasted buns.

This meal literally comes together in about 15 minutes. GREAT for busy weeknights :)

A couple of yummy variations/add-ons:

- Top with cheese!

- Instead of hamburger buns, use little sweet Hawaiian rolls

- For spice, add a few dashes of hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes

- Serve meat mixture over fries and top with cheese for a chili cheese fries-like meal!!

- Cut a baguette in half lengthwise, top with the meat mixture and cheese; put in the oven for about 5-10 minutes until cheese is bubbly...a great open-faced option.

~XO

Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick and Easy Meal Prep for Breakfast + Lunch + Snacks!

Ready for a SUPER quick and easy meal prep?! No joke, it took me longer to find all the lids to these containers than it did it prep my b...